Virginia Advisers Earn Commendations in HS Journalism Teacher of the Year Program

Columbia+University

Alejandro Mallea, “Columbia University.”
Used by permission (CC-BY-2.0).

Three Virginia advisers were recognized today by the National High School Journalism Teacher of the Year Awards program.

Lindsay Benedict of McLean High School (McLean, VA) and Abrianna Nelson of Washington-Liberty High School (Arlington, VA) were both named Distinguished Advisers while Steven Denlinger of Stafford High School (Fredericksburg, VA) was named a Special Recognition Adviser.

The National High School Journalism Teacher of the Year Awards are administered by the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, with additional sponsorship and support provided by Dow Jones News Fund, Poynter Institute for Media Studies, and The Wall Street Journal.

VAJTA is incredibly proud of the work Benedict, Nelson and Denlinger do every day to develop and support the high quality of student journalism produced throughout the state. We congratulate them on their success and look forward to the CSPA Adviser Awards Showcase in April at which they will be honored.

For more details and a profile of High School Journalism Teacher of the Year Award winner Ray Westbrook of St. Mark’s School of Texas (Dallas, TX) please see CSPA’s press release.