Virginia Assocation of Journalism Teachers & Advisers

Thomas Jefferson High School’s Christine Zhao Named Virginia Journalist of the Year

Carrying+a+%3Cem%3EtjTV%3C%2Fem%3E+tripod+and+microphone%2C+Virginia+Student+Journalist+of+the+Year+Christine+Zhao+walks+into+the+security+room+at+Thomas+Jefferson+High+School.+Zhao+was+was+preparing+to+interview+security+employee+Charles+Phillips+for+an+online+series+on+the+stories+of+African-American+students+and+staff.+
Carrying a <em>tjTV</em> tripod and microphone, Virginia Student Journalist of the Year Christine Zhao walks into the security room at Thomas Jefferson High School. Zhao was was preparing to interview security employee Charles Phillips for an online series on the stories of African-American students and staff.

Carrying a tjTV tripod and microphone, Virginia Student Journalist of the Year Christine Zhao walks into the security room at Thomas Jefferson High School. Zhao was was preparing to interview security employee Charles Phillips for an online series on the stories of African-American students and staff.

Congratulations to Christine Zhao, a senior at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, who has been named the Virginia Student Journalist of the Year by the Virginia Association of Journalism Teachers and Advisers (VAJTA). Zhao is an editor-in-chief at tjTODAY, which is advised by Erinn Harris.

Zhao’s digital portfolio will now represent Virginia in the national student journalist of the year competition sponsored by the Journalism Education Association. Zhao will also receive a $1000 award for her accomplishment.

Aseal Saed of Annandale High School earned second place in the contest. She will receive a $500 award from VAJTA. Saed’s adviser is Alan Weintraut.

Senior Aseal Saed, co-editor-in-chief of The A-Blast, photographs a classmate at Annandale High School.

Judges awarded Lucie Rutherford of Harrisonburg High School third place, with a $300 award. Her adviser is Valerie Kibler.

Senior editor-in-chief Lucie Rutherford (back), hands out the October 2017 issue of the Newsstreak alongside senior Guillermo Torres and freshman Carlos Arevalo at Harrisonburg High School.