Ukrainian & Russian War Effect on Local Community

Supporting From Home

How an international war is affecting citizens in Harrisonburg

Story by Riley Thompson

“I would say we didn’t sleep, the first week was really stressful,” Olga Kutsa said. “We contacted the family five to 10 times a day to see if they were okay.”

36-year-old Olga Kutsa, an employee of Hugo Kohl’s jewelry, has experienced the violence of the Russian and Ukrainian war secondhand through her connections to Ukraine from her home in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Kutsa lived in Ukraine until 2008 when she then moved to the US and has now been here for 14 years.

The stress of being so far from family during this conflict has been difficult for Kutsa.

“I still have family in Ukraine and my husband has a family in Ukraine too who stay in the center of Ukraine and all of the fightings happened in the East of Ukraine in the beginning,” Kutsa said. “Right now, the fighting is everywhere. They are okay now, but we never know every day. Two days ago, they bombed my city where I used to live, so you just never know.”

Having such close family ties in Ukraine made watching the war from afar difficult for Kutsa.

“It’s really stressful. The first week when it happened it was like everything stopped in our life and we were thinking about Ukraine and how we can help,” Kutsa said. “We did a fundraiser here and I was really glad with our community because everyone is really nice and we saw a lot of support for Ukrainian families. I think we raised $140,000 in that fundraiser and we still send this money to Ukraine for food for the army and for the people.”

In addition to Kutsa’s fundraiser, her employer, Hugo Kohl also donated a few items in support of Ukraine.

“Hugo Kohl donated three gold items we sold at an auction in support of Ukraine. Some people as well at local businesses donated their items in support,” Kutsa said.

Not only does she receive support close to home, but random acts of kindness in support of Kutsa’s Ukrainian background have helped her feel supported by her local community.

“I had a customer last week who knows I am from Ukraine, so he brought a car seat, he just wanted to donate to a Ukrainian refugee here, so people are really nice and helpful,” Kutsa said. “I have two refugees in my home and my mom has three refugees in her home, so people ask how they can help and everyone is really nice, especially people around here.”
Despite fundraising losing steam in social media outlets, Kutsa continues to plan events to bring attention to the wartorn nation.

“We plan to do another fundraiser, at our local church, Slavic Christian Church. We did one in March and we are planning to do another one soon. We think if we are going to ask people, they will be willing to help,” Kutsa said.

If members of the community want to know of ways to support Ukraine most effectively, Kutsa feels helping refugees in Harrisonburg will make the most significant impact.

“The easiest way to help is to help the families who already came here, ask them what they need, and just help them with basic needs,” Kutsa said. “Such as the family that stays in my basement needs a refrigerator. It’s hard to provide everything, especially big things when we’re already providing everything else.”

The Ukrainian-Russian War From a Closer Perspective

By Olga Kutsa, as told to Riley Thompson

Compiled by Michael Shea

Kutsa’s family still being in Ukraine creates added stress. “We tried to talk to my family and invite them here, but my husband’s family are farmers and they feel like they need to be in Ukraine right now because they need to help people with wheat and all the food,” Kutsa said. “But, it’s also really hard to plant because there’s no Diesel, so they can still plant, but they can’t do as much as they used to do.” Photo by Alexa Kundrat

A Virginia perspective 

The Russian invasion happened on February 24 at night … at first, it was really stressful, and we would contact the family five to 10 times a day [to see] if they are okay, but they were in the center of Ukraine [when] all that’s happened in the beginning …So, they’re okay now, and like two days ago they bombed where I had lived … [The] first week, when it happened, everything stopped in our life. We were thinking about Ukraine and how we could help with a fundraiser here.

Money to those in need

We did a fundraiser and people really, really felt big support for Ukrainian families … I think we raised $140,000 in the fundraisers and we sent this money — we are still sending money to Ukraine, to some community schools. We [also] paid [for] the food for the army and for the people. Hugo Kohl donates three items. The gold item we sold at an auction also supports the Ukraine people, and I know some more local businesses, they also donate their items to put on auction.

Those who have stayed and left

My husband’s family, are farmers, and they feel like they need to be in Ukraine right now because they need to help people with all the wheat and all the food, but it’s also very hard to plan [to leave] because there is no diesel … They can’t do very much.

What the public can do

First, I would ask them to pray for the people in Ukraine, then maybe the easiest way to help is to help the families who have already come here. Ask them what they need and just help with them, like the family who stays in my basement needs a refrigerator.

Refugees in need

I have two refugees in my home, my mother has three …We provide everything they need for the first time, but it’s hard to provide everything, especially for the big things. They [are] looking for their job. They need transportation, like a cheap car — all that stuff.

Edited by Alexa Kundrat, Voiceover by Kat Halepaska
Package by Michael Shea from Louisa County High School, Riley Thompson from Harrisonburg High School, Alexa Kundrat from Great Bridge High School & Kat Halepaska from Colonial Forge High School.